RMAN, Veritas - Correlating Media ID after tape vaulted
Jared Still
2009-09-22 23:12:03 UTC
When determining which tapes to recall from offsite, RMAN provides the
RESTORE DATABASE PREVIEW RECALL syntax to identify the needed tapes.

Here's an example:

RMAN> RUN
2> {
3> set until time "to_date('06/17/2009 08:00:00','mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss')";
4> restore database preview recall;
5> }
executing command: SET until clause

Starting restore at 09/22/2009 11:15:21
List of Backup Sets
===================

BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
------- ---- -- ---------- ----------- ------------ -------------------
2070190 Incr 0 89.78G SBT_TAPE 01:03:42 06/14/2009 18:20:43
BP Key: 2070201 Status: AVAILABLE Compressed: NO Tag:
TAG20090614T180051
Handle: PRD_T20090614_db_s21827_p1_t689536853 Media: 002774
List of Datafiles in backup set 2070190
File LV Type Ckp SCN Ckp Time Name
---- -- ---- ---------- ------------------- ----
24 0 Incr 7113842263 06/14/2009 18:00:59
S:\ORACLE\PRD\SAPDATA10\BTABD_60\BTABD.DATA60
37 0 Incr 7113842263 06/14/2009 18:00:59
S:\ORACLE\PRD\SAPDATA2\SOURCED_1\SOURCED.DATA1
48 0 Incr 7113842263 06/14/2009 18:00:59
S:\ORACLE\PRD\SAPDATA13\ES700I_1\ES700I.DATA1

Notice the Media ID of 002774. So far, so good.

The problem occurs when working with media that has been vaulted.

What occurs then is the the images on 002774 are copied to a new tape with a
different Media ID.
Let's say in this case the vaulted tape has a Media ID of 003500

So tape 003500 goes offsite, and tape 002774 is put back in the scratch pool
and reused.

At this point the RECALL PREVIEW is reporting the incorrect Media ID,
because
RMAN has no knowledge of the tape vaulting.

This brings up some questions I have not been able to find answers to.

1) What NBU command can be used to correlate the old Media ID to the new
Media ID?
I have examined and tried bpimmedia, bpimagelist and vmquery. No joy.

2) I believe the (unpublished) RMAN SBT API has routines to allow the media
ID to be updated in the catalog in the event a tape is copied to a new one
which
is moved offsite. Does anyone know where the docs are regarding this ( I
have
looked), and if Veritas makes use of it. I have looked at the CROSSCHECK and
CHANGE RMAN commands, but didn't see anything relevant.

That doesn't mean it wasn't there however, I just could have missed it.

The whole point of this post is to learn how to use the information provided
by
RMAN to request the correct tapes to be returned from offsite, given a date
and time to restore to.

Please don't suggest requesting a date range of tapes. We are already doing
that, and it is crude and time consuming.

Thanks,

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com
Jeff Lightner
2009-09-23 12:43:04 UTC
Since you know the completion time and elapsed time from the RMAN output
you could figure it out by doing:

bpimmedia -L -policy <policy> -d 06/14/2009 017:00:00 -e 04/27/2008
18:30:00

The end time (-e) is the one shown for completion (padded a little) and
the start time (-d) is subtracting the hour and three minutes from that
end time (and padding a little). This will show you the backup IDs and
the image 1 and image 2 data. The image 2 data is the vaulted tapes.
This would show you only the image 2 tapes if the image 1 tapes had
already expired. Some people keep a longer retention on offsite than
on site.

________________________________

When determining which tapes to recall from offsite, RMAN provides the

RESTORE DATABASE PREVIEW RECALL syntax to identify the needed tapes.

Here's an example:

RMAN> RUN

2> {

3> set until time "to_date('06/17/2009 08:00:00','mm/dd/yyyy
hh24:mi:ss')";

4> restore database preview recall;

5> }

executing command: SET until clause

Starting restore at 09/22/2009 11:15:21

List of Backup Sets

===================

BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time

------- ---- -- ---------- ----------- ------------ -------------------

2070190 Incr 0 89.78G SBT_TAPE 01:03:42 06/14/2009 18:20:43

BP Key: 2070201 Status: AVAILABLE Compressed: NO Tag:
TAG20090614T180051

Handle: PRD_T20090614_db_s21827_p1_t689536853 Media: 002774

List of Datafiles in backup set 2070190

----------------------------------
----------------------------------
Jared Still
2009-09-23 16:30:13 UTC
That's what we're doing now, but it seems rather kludgy to me.
It should be possible to exactly correlate the Media ID's.

------------------------------
*Sent:* Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:12 PM
vaulted
When determining which tapes to recall from offsite, RMAN provides the
RESTORE DATABASE PREVIEW RECALL syntax to identify the needed tapes.
RMAN> RUN
2> {
3> set until time "to_date('06/17/2009 08:00:00','mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss')";
4> restore database preview recall;
5> }
executing command: SET until clause
Starting restore at 09/22/2009 11:15:21
List of Backup Sets
===================
BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
------- ---- -- ---------- ----------- ------------ -------------------
2070190 Incr 0 89.78G SBT_TAPE 01:03:42 06/14/2009 18:20:43
TAG20090614T180051
Handle: PRD_T20090614_db_s21827_p1_t689536853 Media: 002774
List of Datafiles in backup set 2070190
[...]
*Please consider our environment before printing this e-mail or
attachments.*
----------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply
immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and
delete it. Thank you.
----------------------------------
Jeff Lightner
2009-09-23 16:49:34 UTC
Well you could use bpimmedia to extract the backup ID for the tape and
then use that to find all tapes with that ID but that would be even more
of a kluge. Also it would have the downside of not working if the
primary copy had already expired while the offsite was still valid.

If you're saying RMAN isn't that good at keeping track of things I'd
have to say I agree but that's something the Oracle folks should
address.

________________________________

----------------------------------
Jared Still
2009-09-23 23:26:15 UTC
If you’re saying RMAN isn’t that good at keeping track of things I’d have
to say I agree but that’s something the Oracle folks should address.
Oracle has provision in the RMAN API to update the RMAN repository
when media ID's are changed due to vaulting.

I've seen it addressed somewhere in the docs, can't haven't been
able to find it again. As the API is published only to partners, there's
no API documentation for me to go look this up.

It's up to Veritas to actually implement this in the Oracle MML. :)

w***@gsk.com
2009-09-24 10:20:32 UTC
On a similar track, has anyone experience of using staging disk (not DSSU)
with lifecycle policies with RMAN?

The question I'm trying to answer (about to test) is that if the backup
phase of the SLP is to a disk STU, the backint will report to RMAN where
the backup has landed on disk.

The duplication stage then puts that onto a tape, but RMAN will not be
told (I assume) what the media ID is.

If a restore was requested from the agent, that I suspect is fine as
NetBackup will look in the catalog for where the primary copy is, and then
pop up an operator request for the tape (that assumes that [a] we expired
the disk image and [b] the tape is offsite).

Our current practice is not to submit the restore request until we know
the media are loaded, and the list of media to request to be brought back
to site comes from the RMAN catalog.

We suspect that is going to stop working. Has anyone seen this problem,
solved this problem, or found a way to avoid it?

William D L Brown
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:12 PM
vaulted
Post by Jeff Lightner
4> restore database preview recall;
5> }
executing command: SET until clause
Starting restore at 09/22/2009 11:15:21
List of Backup Sets
===================
BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
------- ---- -- ---------- ----------- ------------ -------------------
2070190 Incr 0 89.78G SBT_TAPE 01:03:42 06/14/2009 18:20:43
TAG20090614T180051
Handle: PRD_T20090614_db_s21827_p1_t689536853 Media: 002774
List of Datafiles in backup set 2070190
----------------------------------
David McMullin
2009-09-24 20:38:34 UTC
Running 6.5.3.1 on Solaris Master/Media servers.
We backup to a VTL, and duplicate to tape using SLP - we have had no issues restoring from either VTL or tape.
RMAN asks NetBackup for the image, and as long as NetBackup knows where it is, (i.e. where is primary copy) it restores fine.
Message: 5
William D L Brown
w***@gsk.com
2009-09-24 20:52:26 UTC
I think our problem is that although I agree that what you say works, we
don't keep an onsite copy of the backup. So while if a restore is
initiated from RMAN, NetBackup will work out where the primary backup
image is, in our case that will just cause an operator request to get the
tape and load it, as it is offsite. Current practice by the DBAs has been
to get the picking list from RMAN, have the tapes recalled and loaded, and
only start the restore when they know the tapes are in the library.

So I guess what they are after is being able to use RMAN to generate the
picking list. It sounds as if running the RMAN 'crosscheck' after the
duplication (or when preparing for a restore) may fixup the RMAN catalog.
However I think I'm going to have the test that.

Of course I'd rather we had an onsite copy, but that is not yet on offer.

William D L Brown
w***@gsk.com
2009-10-15 12:43:35 UTC
I've written a couple of scripts to help with this, which would work I
think for both Vaulting and other duplications like SLPs. We found that
with D2D2T using AdvancedDisk staging, RMAN thinks the backup is on
something like @aaaa6. Restores work if the tape it is actually on is
still onsite, otherwise you will get an operator request. RMAN crosscheck
does not update the actual media location, it just checks that NetBackup
knows about the image and it is not expired.

You can use bplist and bpimagelist on the Master Server to get the
information. This uses the way RMAN builds SBT filenames by default e.g.
<SID>_0910061317_online_bk_18_1_699542336 (if you customise them, you may
need to adapt it). These start with the SID so for bplist we are looking
for files apparently top-level from the client named /SID*.

So here is a script that can be run on the Master Server to list the media
for one 'handle', e.g. /<SID>_0910061317_online_bk_18_1_699542336

# cat find_rman_media.ksh
#!/bin/ksh
strClient="$1"
strFile="$2"
strBackupID=$1_`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C $1 -Listpolicy
-Listseconds -t 4 $2 | awk '{print $14}'`
echo "Media required to restore client $1 backup set handle $2"
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -media -l -option
COMPLETE_COPIES -backupid $strBackupID | \
awk '/FRAG/ {print $9}'

and here is one to do it for all the backups known about for a database:

# cat find_all_rman_media.ksh
#!/bin/ksh
strClient="$1"
strDbSID="$2"
handles=`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C $strClient -t 4 "/$strDbSID*"
`
for handle in $handles
{
strBackupID=${strClient}_`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C $1
-Listpolicy -Listseconds -t 4 $handle | awk '{print $14}'`
echo "Media required to restore client $strClient backup set handle
$handle"
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -media -l -option
COMPLETE_COPIES -backupid $strBackupID | \
awk '/FRAG/ {print $9}'
}
echo "-- End of Output --"

You could adapt the latter to list for just the last 48 hours and run
using cron every 24 hours, and e-mail it somewhere that you can access for
DR.

Supplied without any warranty!

William D L Brown

"David McMullin" <***@CBC-Companies.com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-***@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
24-Sep-2009 21:38

"veritas-***@mailman.eng.auburn.edu" <veritas-***@mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN, Veritas - Correlating Media ID after tape vaulted