[Veritas-bu] Examples of SSO vm.conf files
Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-27 21:25:33 UTC
Greetings -

I'm trying to setup SSO for an LTO2 library shared between a Solaris 9
Master and a RHEL3 Linux Media server. Can someone give me examples of
the vm.conf files on each server?

Right now, I'm using an evaluation license and I can see drives
on both Master and Media servers and the robotic is controlled
by the Master. However, all of the traffic is still going through
the Master server. The Master server has a vm.conf but my Linux
media server doesn't.

--kathy
M***@cexp.com
2006-01-27 22:51:24 UTC
It's not vm.conf, it's tpconfig.

Be sure which drives are the shared ones, ie /dev/rmt/x on server1 is
/dev/rmtY on server2. Then carefully setup the drives as shared drives via
tpconfig.

vm.conf is plain.

Really, the manual is your friend on an SSO setup.

-M

Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-27 23:41:41 UTC
Hi Mark --

Here are my tpconfigs on both the Master and Media servers:

Master server: /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d

Index DriveName DrivePath Type Shared Status
***** ********* ********** **** ****** ******
0 Hagrid-1 /dev/rmt/3cbn hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=1
1 Hagrid-2 /dev/rmt/2cbn hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=2
2 Hagrid-3 /dev/rmt/1cbn hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=3
3 Hagrid-4 /dev/rmt/0cbn hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=4

Currently defined robotics are:
TLD(0) robotic path = /dev/sg/c0tw2001005013e00369l1,
volume database host = albus.ucdavis.edu

Media Server:# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d
Index DriveName DrivePath Type Shared Status
***** ********* ********** **** ****** ******
0 Hagrid-1 /dev/st/nh1c0t0l2 hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=1
1 Hagrid-2 /dev/st/nh1c0t0l3 hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=2
2 Hagrid-3 /dev/st/nh1c0t0l4 hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=3
3 Hagrid-4 /dev/st/nh1c0t0l5 hcart2 Yes UP
TLD(0) Definition DRIVE=4

Currently defined robotics are:
TLD(0) robot control host = albus.ucdavis.edu
volume database host = albus.ucdavis.edu

All I/O is still going through the device paths of the Master Server.
I'm trying to setup SSO for an LTO2 library shared between a Solaris 9
Master and a RHEL3 Linux Media server. Can someone give me examples of
the vm.conf files on each server?
Right now, I'm using an evaluation license and I can see drives
on both Master and Media servers and the robotic is controlled
by the Master. However, all of the traffic is still going through
the Master server. The Master server has a vm.conf but my Linux
media server doesn't.
--kathy
--kathy

Kathryn Hemness ***@ucdavis.edu
System Administrator phone: 530.752.6547
Campus Data Center & Client Services fax: 530.752.9154
Scott Jacobson
2006-01-28 00:32:00 UTC
Kathryn,

In a SSO environment your Drive Names must be unique.

In my environment for example, from the Master, run "vmoprcmd". These
are the names I use
to keep things straight.

-sj

***** ********* ********** **** ******
******

Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-28 00:40:20 UTC
Scott -

Did I miss something here? Did you intend to show me the
results of your vmoprcmd or a tpconfig -d?

Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-28 04:03:56 UTC
Scott -

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not there yet.
Both the master and media servers are in each other's bp.conf
file.

I have a single robot with 4 drives in it. The drives are all
visible on both of the servers. I've renamed the drives accessed
from the media server differently from their corresponding device
names on the master server. I used tpconfig on each server to assign the
drives to Robot 0.

In the Device Monitor in NetBackup java gui, I see 8 shared
drives. All 4 drives are in use; 2 on drives defined on the
Master and the other 2 on the drives defined on the media server.

Here's sort of what it looks like
MasterDrive1= TLD ; MediaDrive1 = PEND-TLD
MasterDrive2= DOWN-TLD ; MediaDrive2 = TLD
MasterDrive3= DOWN-TLD ; MediaDrive3 = TLD
MasterDrive4= TLD ; MediaDrive4 = PEND-TLD

Error messages on my media server indicates RESERVATION CONFLICT
for 2 scsi devices (probably the MasterDrive[23] indicated above).

My duplications are running at fair speeds, but there's not been a need
for a tape dismount/remount for tapes in use by my media server.

The reason I had thought there might be a need for individual vm.conf
files is because the NB51 Media Manager Guide indicates about 4 SSO
settings for the vm.conf and I was wondering about whether or not
the Master and Media servers should contain the same entries, and I don't
even have a vm.conf file on my Media server.

Anyway, I can't do any more work on the tpconfig stuff because my peak
backup windows just opened. I'll do some more tweaking tomorrow if
the media server RESERVATION CONFLICTS don't down all of the drives.

I'm cc'ing this back to the list in case there are others who can
shed light on this subject.
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:32:44 -0700
Kathryn,
Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-28 19:47:21 UTC
So the hagrid-* names are the logical names, right? And I should have
used the same names with the media server device paths when I configured
them to Robot 0 with tpconfig on the media server?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:38:00 -0800
Kathryn, each physical drive needs to have a unique name, not each logical
one.
For example, drive 1, hagrid-1, should be hagrid-1 across all media servers.
The output of
vmdareq -h masterserver
should show you eash drive and corresponding media servers sharing it.
You'll get there soon enough. ;-)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:32:44 -0700
Kathryn,
Tim Berger
2006-01-28 19:58:59 UTC
The drive name hagrid-1 should correspond to the same physical drive across
all hosts.
-Tim
M***@cexp.com
2006-01-28 00:18:45 UTC
Did you create new storage units for your media server? Reboot? Assign
your policy to the new storage unit?

Make sure that your both servers have the other in their bp.conf file. Best
guarantee is to have each labeled as a "SERVER" rather than a "MEDIASERVER".

Master server is listed first, of course, in both servers.

-M

Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-28 00:21:27 UTC
I need to create a separate storage unit for the media server
even if the robotic is controlled by the master? I haven't done
this yet.

Ambrose, Monte
2006-01-28 00:56:51 UTC
Kathryn

You do need a storage unit for every media server that will be backing
up data. The policy should point to the storage unit of the media
server you want to back up to. The tpconfig entry on the media server
will point to the master as having the library control however - See the
tpconfig output below - the media server "robotic control host points to
the master"

Monte

Jim Peppas
2006-01-28 19:58:30 UTC
Hi.

I think there is a mixup here. Do you want to share all drives or just split
half of the drives to each media server?

SSO drives have to have the same name....

If you want to share all drives , you have to do the following:

1. Delete all Netbackup entries of all drives on all Master/media Servers.
2. Configure the drives on the first Media server (it might be the master,
no problem) using names that refer to the Library , not the server. The
simplest way is to run :

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -set_gdbhost <Master_server>
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -a

3. After you finish the configuration of the drives, by running a vmoprcmd
command on that server see entries like:

PENDING REQUESTS

<NONE

DRIVE STATUS

Drv Type Control User Label RecMID ExtMID Ready Wr.Enbl.
ReqId
0 hcart2 TLD - No - -
1 hcart2 TLD - No - -
2 hcart2 TLD - No - -
3 hcart2 TLD - No - -

ADDITIONAL DRIVE STATUS

Drv DriveName Shared Assigned Comment
0 LIBA_LTO-1 No -
1 LIBA_LTO-2 No -
2 LIBA_LTO-3 No -
3 LIBA_LTO-4 No -

4.
Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-29 07:15:51 UTC
Thanks, Jim -

The steps worked and now all 4 of my drives are shared and
duplications are running. But 2 duplications are coming directly
from the media server and the I/O is still going through the
master according to iostat on the master.
4.
Kathryn Hemness
2006-01-29 16:06:47 UTC
Jim and everyone who responded,

Thanks for all of the details. Using them, I was able to configure
the drives on both the master and media servers. However, to get
the I/O to be split between the master and media servers, I had
to create 2 separate storage units: one on the master with maxdrives=2
and the other on the media server with maxdrives=2. Then I altered
my tape duplication script on the media server to reference the media
server's storage unit.

For brevity's sake, the only difference between the tpconfigs of the
master and media servers are the DrivePath names and the defined
robotics. The master server has TLD(0) with a robotic path and with a
volume database host specifying itself, and the media server
has TLD(0) specifying the master as both the robot control host and the
volume database host.

The storage unit configurations both specify Robot 0 as the robot number,
but one has the master as the media server and the other has the
media server.
4.
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Kathryn Hemness
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
It is also possible to run steps 1 and 4 only. You can try this first.
Usually, the only setback you have is that Netbackup gives the Drive names.
You have to change the names later on to your desired names. That why I run
usually configure the drives first on the robot controller and then run the
wizard

Sorry for being too detailed.

Regards,
Jim